- Firstly, there would be a brainstorming session for ideas concerning the subject matter and themes for the project. I had a decent idea that the project would be some sort of street photography (as I had become more confident in this area of photography, although I wasn't clear at all on the theme for the project; hence the brainstorming session). This would be carried out in the form of a simple list, with bullet points going into more detail exploring the ideas. I would also write down possible areas for improvement over previous projects as soon as I had decided on a theme. For example, I've found looking for potential processing for some shots before the shot was actually processed made me think about processing the photographs in a more interesting way.
- Next for the workflow, after deciding upon the theme, would be the practical preparation for each session. This would include setting the camera to the raw+jpeg setting. I was finding this technique a lot more useful than I had envisaged in prior projects. This was for the obvious reason that I could use the jpegs straight away if I decided the jpegs were of a high enough quality (in terms of exposure) to be used. Another, much less obvious way in which the jpegs could be used, was to actually use them for viewing. However, it was in such a manner that I thought it would be different to a lot of other people's workflows; namely viewing the jpegs through an SD card slot on a large LCD TV. This I thought had its shortcomings - mainly because the colours weren't accurately reproduced. However, it was useful for me because it allowed me to get an idea of the impact of each photo after each session quickly and easily.
- Other practical aspects I would go through each session would be to check the weather forecast (especially since the weather was so changeable at this time of the year) as well as ensuring I had all of the necessary camera equipment each time. Also that the batteries were charged and the memory cards had sufficient space.
- At the shooting stage I would try to concentrate on a couple of street performers per session, with particular attention placed on different angles. This would serve the purpose of: showing off the relationship between the performer and the audience, which would make the photographs not look similar to the kind of shots tourists would take of the performers. Also it could potentially serve the purpose of showing a sense of place.
- To transfer the images from the memory cards through the computer to the external hard drives after each session was my next priority. I decided beforehand I would refrain from deleting any photos from each session unless I deemed them particularly bad. Instead, I would back up the images (both raw+jpeg) onto both the hard drives I had. Then I would clear the (expectedly at least half-full) memory cards ready for the next session. Although I knew this would take up a lot of space on the hard drives, I honestly considered memory quite cheap and bountiful.
- Look at the photos on the LCD TV and also within the Organiser on the computer in order to make the selects.
- The selection process: this would essentially follow the same stages as my earlier street photography project (exercises 2 and 4); including selects, first selects, seconds and final selects. This can be seen in figures 1 and 2 in this post. However, the key difference would be the integration of a folder system (as seen in Figure 3) for each day/street performer to aid organisation and simplify the process. This had been overly complicated in the last project, where a lot of the days were mixed together in the same folders. I would retain the process of also tagging photos I felt would benefit from cropping because I found it very helpful in the previous workflow project.
|Figure 1 - The selects|
|Figure 2 - The first selects|
|Figure 3 - Folder system|
- The processing stage: as mentioned earlier, I had discovered the concept of visualising the 'potential' of an image before the processing actually took place. In a way I was verifying my final selection was a good choice before spending time processing. In more general terms changing the exposure, applying effects like vignetting or sepia tones as well as cropping (probably either in 3:2 or 1:1 formats; for reasons described in the printing stage below) to my final selects would be my main priority. I would also consider any other techniques that became apparent as I processed.
- The printing and uploading to web stage: one area where my workflow would perhaps be different to others' would be the formats chosen for printing especially. In the last project I had found the 1:1 aspect ratio was quite effective so I would try to utilise that here if suitable. It also was conveniently a format the print house I was currently using printed in so that was definitely a possibility. One area I felt my workflow could improve in was the printing stage. This was because I currently had to rely on an external print house source because my printing wasn't as accurate as I would have liked (in terms of colours) for reasons like calibration and other unexplored factors.